• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

Post Death of Alexander The Great

Alexander's funeral cortege.

The preparations for Alexander's funeral were conducted upon a great scale of magnificence and splendor.
    It was two years before they were complete.

The body had been given, first, to be embalmed, according to the Egyptian and Chaldean art, and then had been placed in a sort of sarcophagus, in which it was to be conveyed to its long home. Alexander, it will be remembered, had given directions that it should be taken to the temple of Jupiter Ammon, in the Egyptian oasis, where he had been pronounced the son of a god. ...

It was a long journey. To convey a body by a regular funeral procession, formed as soon after the death as the arrangements could be made, from Babylon to the eastern frontiers of Egypt, a distance of a thousand miles, was perhaps as grand a plan of interment as was ever formed. It has something like a parallel in the removal of Napoleon's body from St. Helena to Paris, though this was not really an interment, but a transfer. Alexander's was a simple burial procession, going from the palace where he died to the proper cemetery—a march of a thousand miles, it is true, but all within his own dominions. The greatness of it resulted simply from the magnitude of the scale on which every thing pertaining to the mighty here was performed, for it was nothing but a simple passage from the dwelling to the burial-ground in his own estates, after all.

Source: The Baldwin Project
    by Jacob Abbott
    Last edited by Bill77; 08-26-2010, 11:02 PM.
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

"The huge gold shrine, ringing and glittering, trundled across a thousand miles of Asia ..."

The funeral catafalque, that was to bear Alexander's body was beautifully designed, sculptured and
    decorated, a gold and jewel covered extravagance that surpassed anything known in history or legend. It took
    two years and many skilled craftsmen to prepare it, with cost no object. Sparkling brilliantly in the sunlight, the heavy,
    roofed funeral carriage was pulled by teams of 64 matched mules. An army of honor guards accompanied it.

Mary Renault vividly brings to life the scene in her book The Nature of Alexander while drawing on the words of Diadorus to describe the magnificence of the funeral cortege.

"The coffin was of beaten gold, the body within it embedded in precious spices. Over it was spread a pall of gold-embroidered purple on which was displayed Alexander’s panoply of arms. Upon all this was erected a golden temple. Gold iconic columns entwined with acanthus supported a vaulted roof of gold scales set with jewels, topped with a scintillating gold olive wreath which flashed in the sun like lightning. At each of its corners stood a golden Victory holding out a trophy. The gold cornice it below it was embossed with ibex heads hung with gold rings supporting a bright, multi-coloured garland. Its ends were tasselled, and from the tassels hung large bells with clear and carrying voices.

"Under the cornice hung a painted frieze. Its front panel shoed Alexander in a state chariot, ‘a very splendid sceptre in his hands’, attended by Macedonian and Persian bodyguards. Another had a procession of Indian war elephants; a third cavalry in battle order; the last a gleet of ships. The open spaces between the columns were filled with golden net, screening the draped sarcophagus from sun and rain, but not from the viewers’ eyes. It had an entrance, guarded by golden lions.

"The axles of the gilded wheels ended in lions’ heads whose teeth held spears. Something had been devised to protect their burden from shock. The edifice was drawn by 64 mules, pulling on four yoke poles in teams of four; each mule had a gilded crown, a gold bell hanging at either cheek, and a collar set with gems.

Renault reports that the description above was based on the writings of Diodorus who in turn was informed by an eyewitness, report. Diadorus wrote:

'Because of its wide fame it drew together many spectators; from every city it came to, the people came out t meet it, and followed beside it when it went away, never wearied in their pleasure at the sight.'

"Week after week, month after month, at the pace of its labouring mules, preceded by roadmakers and pausing while they smoothed its passage, fifteen, ten, five miles a day; stopping at towns where sacrifices were offered and epitaphions sung, the huge gold shrine, ringing and glittering, trundled across a thousand miles of Asia; the shock absorbers whose construction has defeated scholars, protecting in death the body so careless of itself in life."

Comment

• Bill77
      • Oct 2009

Before i go on i will point a few things out from the previous post.

attended by Macedonian and Persian bodyguards
      The Macedonian and Persian signified by this auther is in a "Ethic" sense.

If The Persian people are defined by the use of the Persian language as their mother tongue and Persian has also a supra-ethnic significance, why couldn't the same be said about the "Macedonians" in this case. Almost on every ocasion i read "Greeks" when it comes to defining Athenians and any other Greek city states. When a reference is made about "Macedonians" its nothing other than Macedonian Just like the Persians were known as Persians or the Egyptians were known as Egyptians etc.

"Under the cornice hung a painted frieze. Its front panel shoed Alexander in a state chariot, ‘a very splendid sceptre in his hands’........Another had a procession of Indian war elephants
      So just like the tomb of Alexander's half brothers, Philip III Arrhidaeus discovered by Andronikos (which was mistaken as Phillips) which had the Sun symbol and greeks only then they claimed this symbol is Greek,

Would they Claim Indian War Elephants as a Greek symbol also if they were to be found on anything to do with Alexander?

The open spaces between the columns were filled with golden net, screening the draped sarcophagus from sun and rain, but not from the viewers’ eyes. It had an entrance, guarded by golden lions.
      Ahhhhhh the mighty Lions apear again
      Will Greeks claim this as theres aswell?
      Last edited by Bill77; 08-26-2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Bill77
        • Oct 2009

There are two other threads currently active that are related to what ive started here.

The mods can merge them if they like or leave it as is.....no big deal.
        I will never the less, continue with what i started.
        "Post Death of Alexander The Great"

The Great Mystery

Written by T. Peter Limber

Alexander's eight senior generals agreed to divide his empire among them, each to govern his respective territory as a vassal of the ruling house of Macedonia.
        Two reasons why i quote this sentence.

A) Iv'e mentioned this on another thread and i will bring it up again.
        My Grandfather told me this story about the generals dividing his empire. ama Alexandar nauci za makedonia ke bidi razdelena megu generaalite pred da umri. I od togash alexander pre kolna makedonia da ostani parche po parche i generalite ajr da ne vidat. (i hope my dedo is wrong about the 'ostani parche po parche')
        But my point is this, how did this poor Grandfather, an isolated villager who never went to school and lived through times where no electricity, television or internet was around know about this.

B) He also always said that his own Generals poisoned him. Now according to T. Peter Limber above info, was it possible this division of Macedonia amongst the generals them selves, was pre planed well before Alexander fell ill?

As to who would be king of Macedonia, and Alexander's heir, they also agreed that it could only be a blood relative of the conqueror's—which meant, regrettably, either Alexander's mentally handicapped half-brother, Philip Arrhidaeus, or Roxane's half-Macedonian child, if it should be male. (It was.) Perdiccas's regency did not much please those strong-minded leaders, but no other solution was even tolerable to them.
        Another point i wish to bring up.

When the author talks about "Blood" relative, and Macedonian child, clearly he is not only talking about Alexanders heir to be his own flesh and blood, but a "Macedonian" one aswell. This tells me that What he means by "Macedonia" is not in a geographical sense, but a race. Or am i looking at it wrong.

Comment

• Serdarot
          • Feb 2010

1. the second link of the "connected" threads is spin of a crazy idiot Vasil Gligorov aka Vasko Gligorijevic etc etc...

2. the thing about your grandfather is not strange, he surely have heard of it during his life, if its from grandfather, grandmother or even Tito´s komunists, it doesn´t metter. something else is very important:

- if there is no blood and cultural relation between the Ancient Macedonians and our Grandfathers... why the hell would our Grandfathers glorify the Ancient Macedonians? couldn´t they just turn into "greeks", bulgars, serbs or "turks"* ? why they self-identify with someone who is dead for thousand of years? why just not change the religion and nation, and so get some money, privilegies in the Society, better life for themself and their families?

3. i go to bed, tired of all this

greetings

* = (so many did, but yet, we, the Macedonian Macedonians, still exist )
          Bratot:
          Никој не е вечен, а каузава не е нова само е адаптирана на новите услови и ќе се пренесува и понатаму.

Comment

Working...
          X