• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Greek Gen Sec of Education: Identity created in 19th Century

Saturday, 09 January 2010

Thalia Dragos, secretary general of the Greek Ministry of Education and university professor from Athens, nowadays faces an avalanche of attacks for stating Greek identity is created in the 19th century.

The charges came in the Greek Parliament by the leader of the nationalist party LAOS George Karadzhaferis who pointed at Dragos for writing in her book "What is our country," positively on the Ottoman Empire and Greek claims that identity is created (manufactured by Germany and UK) `in the 19th century.

LAOS claimed Dragos is not a patriot, and has Anti-Greek views for stating the obvious.

The nationalists are bothered that Dragos stated that present Greece in no way continues to be bearer of unique ancient culture, and that there mustn't be negative attitude towards migrants to the country.

Dragos drew the ire for saying in another book that the ethnic Macedonians in northern Greece have the right to self identification, just as much as the people who live in Athens have the right to call themselves "Greeks".

"When it comes to cultural rights, the number of what our Government terms SlavoMacedonians in Northern Greece and, more importantly, numerous Muslim (Turkish) minority in Thrace do not have the right to self identification" stated Mrs. Dragos in her book "Citizenship and Nations-states in Greece and Turkey".

In an interview with To Vima published nowadays, Dragos says nobody has the right to give degrees of patriotism.

- I am proud of the history, culture and my identity, but also fight for Greece and the Greek struggle for democracy, education, humanitarian, tolerant society, to equalization of our position in Europe and respect for all people and cultures in the world - says Dragos in her interview with the explanation that paragraphs from her books that were perceived as "Anti-Greek" were removed by the Government. Not very democratic, one would say.

However, the accusations directed at the Greek professor and secretary general of the Ministry of Education has a positive side because it opened a debate about immigrants and national identity issues that political parties in Greece usually do everything to avoid. Famous Greek writer and fighter for human rights Takis Mihas writes that this is the positive effect of the case with Dragos. According to him, all serious historians believe that the Ottoman period was one of the most culturally enlightening in history. In his text for Eleftherotypia, Mihas added that not only Dragos but well known British historians have stated that the Greek national identity is created in the 19th century.

Thanks CT for bringing this to my attention on Maknews.
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

Guess who is going to loose there job soon.

Thanks for this post TM
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Bill77
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
      http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/11749/1/

Saturday, 09 January 2010

The charges came in the Greek Parliament by the leader of the nationalist party LAOS George Karadzhaferis who pointed at Dragos for writing in her book "What is our country," positively on the Ottoman Empire and Greek claims that identity is created (manufactured by Germany and UK) `in the 19th century.

LAOS claimed Dragos is not a patriot, and has Anti-Greek views for stating the obvious.
      Some one else picked this up but i wish to share.

Quote: "Funny, the LAOS nationalist "George Karadzhaferis"...a person whose ethnic/family backgound is from Turkmenistan.

Karadzha(feris) is a name originating from Turkmenistan.
      http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Bratot
        • Sep 2008

Famous Greek writer and fighter for human rights Takis Mihas writes that this is the positive effect of the case with Dragos.
        According to him, all serious historians believe that the Ottoman period was one of the most culturally enlightening in history. In his text for Eleftherotypia, Mihas added that not only Dragos but well known British historians have stated that the Greek national identity is created in the 19th century.
        The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

When will they ever admit it.
          I hope Dragos does not suffer too much for stating the obvious.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• osiris
            • Sep 2008

admit what re, never ever, never ever ever will we admit the truth the fantasia is much better so he it is.

from the north to the south we are all griks even the ones who dont want to be will one day wake up and realise they too like maria sharapova are really griks.

maria is a grik name no.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
              • Jan 2009

Bump. Posts like these need to be re-visited by our southern friends.
              Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Commander Bond
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
                Bump. Posts like these need to be re-visited by our southern friends.
                Nine times out of ten, our southern friends avoid these brilliant topics.

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

well finally the chinks are coming out & the greek govt doesn't like it.Eventually they have to accept the fact that they aren't connected to the ancients merely a creation of the 19 century by the great powers.They probably find it too painful to admit the truth even when their learnered people like dragos tells them that.
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Voltron
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2011

Some people here really value individual opinons as some type of holy grail they have been searching for.

Comment

• julie
                      • May 2009

Voltron our holy grail we already know about and have. Its people like yourself that are into stealing Macedonian history that poo poo it. We know what we are and no amount of your western support in your bullshit made up Greek state with stolen Macedonian lands will tell us otherwise. Go jump with that insulting comment, you really insult our intelligence, on a Macedonian forum
                      "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Voltron View Post
                        Some people here really value individual opinons as some type of holy grail they have been searching for.
                        Thanks for that Voltron.
                        We value your opinion.
                        Risto the Great
                        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Voltron
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2011

Julie, There is no stealing of history. There is an overlap of history shared by both countries with diametrical views of interpretation. Espescially within the last 20 years or so.

Risto, I just didnt see how Thalia Dragos is worth mentioning. Another liberal with an opinion that wants to be heard. Sorry.

Comment

• julie
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by Voltron View Post
                            Julie, There is no stealing of history. There is an overlap of history shared by both countries with diametrical views of interpretation. Espescially within the last 20 years or so.

Risto, I just didnt see how Thalia Dragos is worth mentioning. Another liberal with an opinion that wants to be heard. Sorry.

Coming from a Greek that stole 51% Macedonia 1913.
                            Go rant about it on a grk forum about my interpretation
                            "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Voltron
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2011

Julie,

We are not so different in the way both our countries lost land. I remember wanting to spit on the minarets that were planted on Aghia Sophia. What can we do ? Pls dont take it personal.

Comment

Working...
                              X