X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wanderer
    • Nov 2009

Best Army-Leader

Which,in your opinion,is the best army,ever passed in history?
    And who is the best leader?

Well,most of you would say Macedonia Army and Alexander the Great,but we can go and to other edges,discussing about other generals,other armies and their tactics or the way they been advancing in the battlefield.

In my opinion,
    Best Army:
    1)Spartans
    2)Vikings
    3)Mongols

Best Leaders:
    1)Great Alexander
    2)Genghis Khan
    3)Napoleon
    4)Hannibal
    5)Rommel

and many more,the list goes on.
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Well, seeing as you chose not to venture outside the edges yourself too much with your reference to Spartans, I feel obliged to list the Macedonians, as the first professional army in Europe and the first conquerors of (most of) the known world at the time.

As for best leaders, I think in many respects Phillip II was better than Alexander, and the mighty military machine known as the Macedonian army was inherited by Alexander from his father.

I would also list Leonidas as one of the best leaders, and also Hector of Troy, as they fought with heart and alongside their men till then end of their lives.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Bill77
      • Oct 2009

As for leader, i can't go past William Wallace. Love the name love the Movie.
      http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Good name, good movie. His story is even better.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Wanderer
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          Well, seeing as you chose not to venture outside the edges yourself too much with your reference to Spartans, I feel obliged to list the Macedonians, as the first professional army in Europe and the first conquerors of (most of) the known world at the time.

As for best leaders, I think in many respects Phillip II was better than Alexander, and the mighty military machine known as the Macedonian army was inherited by Alexander from his father.

I would also list Leonidas as one of the best leaders, and also Hector of Troy, as they fought with heart and alongside their men till then end of their lives.
          Agreed up to a certain point,but dont you think we should go further and not see only that time of period?I mean if we look,other periods we can find bright fighters and generals.

Also,i disagree where you say that Macedonian army was the first professional.If you look it from the view ,of the disciplined and obeyable soldier,then we should have Spartans,since they were first of chronological order(Spartans 600 B.C.-350 B.C. approx) while Macedonians were later.Also we should not forget,Roman Army.

Comment

• julie
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
            As for leader, i can't go past William Wallace. Love the name love the Movie.
            braveheart he was.
            "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• julie
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              Agreed up to a certain point,but dont you think we should go further and not see only that time of period?I mean if we look,other periods we can find bright fighters and generals.

Also,i disagree where you say that Macedonian army was the first professional.If you look it from the view ,of the disciplined and obeyable soldier,then we should have Spartans,since they were first of chronological order(Spartans 600 B.C.-350 B.C. approx) while Macedonians were later.Also we should not forget,Roman Army.

Philip of Macedon
              the phalanx was the tactical formation formed by our Macedonian King which Alexander the Great used in his conquests
              "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Jankovska
                • Sep 2008

Philip the second of Macedonia and the Macedonian Army.

Comment

• Bill77
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Jankovska View Post
                  I am not sure if this person would fall in this catergory, But he was a leader, Defeated an empire and he done it with out rasing a hand.........Ghandi

Comment

• Bill77
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Jankovska View Post
                    What was so special about Philip and later Alexander was that many times they were out numbered and still came out victorious.

Comment

• astibo
                      • Oct 2009

I can say that the best soldiers where the Macedonians and in the time of Alexander, and not just becouse they have won many victories where thay where largely outnumbered, but also becouse of thear famous marches, like that throu the desert on thay way back from india (alexander heard that it is not posible to cross that desert and he just wannet to prove that he and his army can achive some thing that was considered as impossible at that time). Also the forced march for capturing the Persian king Darius, leed by Alexander and the elitte Agrians and companion cavalry.

Comment

• Spartan
                        • Sep 2008

While Phillip may have been the better all around leader, there is no question(in my mind anyways) that Alexander was by far the better strategist on the battlefield.

Genghis kahn is another great leadert that rarely gets mentioned. His empire at its height was considerably larger than Alexanders.

Asfor the Macedonian army vs that of the Spartans, it would have been nice if they faced off in their prime. Unfortunately, Sparta was declining as Macedonia was rising when they eventually did meet in battle.

I would of liked to see Alexander and his Macedonians, against Leonidas and the full Spartan army sometime around 490 bc.
                        Alas, it was not meant to be.

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                          • Jan 2009

Army of Alexander The Great was unquestionably the greatest army of the ancient world. His army of just over 40,000 men were never defeated. In 333 BC he defeated the Persian army of over 200,000 men under the leadership of Persian King Darius. He was revered by other great military leaders such as Julius Caesar.
                          Roman Army, they almost conquered the known world.
                          Spartan Army, May have been the best trained Soldiers in ancient times.
                          The Mongols, they took China completely, and quite a bit of Russia, Turkey and Europe.

One can say the Spartan army was perhaps the most well trained army in the ancient Greek world; but whilst Athens controlled the sea they were unable to effectively use it
                          The Spartans weren't warriors, they were proper soldiers, which was one reason they were so formidable. But their combat record included many losses and never forget the real reason for Spartan militarism was to hold down the Helots at home; the Spartan army was kind of a mixture of the Gestapo, Einsatzgruppen and the Waffen SS.

In the end to hold up their rotten and corrupt system they were reduced to taking money from Persia to fight other Greeks and still they fell to the Thebans and revolt at home.

What are your thoughts Spartan..?
                          The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                            • Jan 2009

List of largest Empires

List of largest empires :

1.)British Empire
                            2.)Mongol Empire
                            3.)Russian Empire
                            4.)Spanish Empire
                            5.)Umayyad Caliphate
                            6.)Qing Dynasty
                            7.)French Empire
                            8.)Portuguese Empire
                            9.)United States of America
                            10.)Rashidun Caliphate
                            11.)Empire of Brazil
                            12.)Achaemenid Empire
                            13.)Japanese Empire
                            14.)Ming Dynasty
                            15.)Han Dynasty
                            16.)Roman Empire
                            17.)Ottoman Empire
                            18.)MACEDONIAN EMPIRE
                            19.)Tang Dynasty
                            20.)Maurya Empire
                            The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                              • Jan 2009

IN ALL MY YEARS OF WAR, I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE, SEEN ANYTHING MORE TERRIFYING, THAN THOSE MACEDONIANS ADVANCING ON THE BATTLEFIELD“ - Aemilius Paullus

Comment

Working...
                              X