Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delodephius
    • Sep 2008

You know who really wrote the Iliad and Odyssey? It was not Homer, but some guy with the same name.
    अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
    उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
    This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
    But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Funny about that name 'Homer', is it related to the name used often by Islamic peoples, 'Omar'? Is it an Anatolian name?
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Delodephius
        • Sep 2008

Last edited by Delodephius; 02-14-2009, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Spartan
          • Sep 2008

From wiki-

Homeric Greek is the form of Ancient Greek that was used by Homer in the Iliad and Odyssey. It is an archaic version of Ionic Greek, with admixtures from certain other dialects, such as Aeolic Greek. It later served as the basis of Epic Greek, the language of epic poetry, typically in dactylic hexameter, of poets such as Hesiod. Unlike later forms of the language, Homeric Greek did not have available in most circumstances a true definite article. [1] Compositions in Epic Greek may date from as late as the 3rd century AD, though its decline was inevitable with the rise of Koine Greek.

If you scroll down the page it has a passage from the illiad translated to english by different people.
          Its interesting
          Last edited by Spartan; 02-13-2009, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Slovak/Anomaly/Tomas View Post
            Nothing there bro.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Spartan, can we get a pargraph or two from Homeric Greek? From what you have seen, how does it measure up when reading it compared to modern Greek?

Comment

• Spartan
                • Sep 2008

Like night and day
                I would need to take a course to understand the AG
                It is obvious at first glance that it is Greek, and many of the words are the same, names as well obviously. I can read and pronounce every word(by MG standards) , but cant understand, apart from a sentence or word here and there.
                I would have to think a course would be required to fully understand AG, even for the most fluent Greek speaker

Heres a link to the iliad in ancient Greek

and some original text-

Last edited by Spartan; 02-13-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Demos
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2008

I understand a fair amount of ancient Hellenic even though I am not an expert, nor a student of ancient Hellenic. I understand Byzantine Greek as well as it is the language of the liturgy in the Hellenic Orthodox Church.

The person speaking ancient Hellenic is not a Greek person, but a foreigner attempting to speak ancient Hellenic. He is doing a horrible job at the accent. He cannot even pronounce correctly most vowels.

This is Byzantine Greek which is totally understandable to me

YouTube - Greek Orthodox Christian Byzantine Music in AgSofia Kabarnos βυζαντινή μουσική
                  Last edited by Demos; 02-13-2009, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

You can understand next to jack in ancient Greek, spoken is different from written, and the Greek of East Rome which your language is based on today after being butchered from all angles was not the same as the Greek of Homer.

Comment

• Dimko-piperkata
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Slovak/Anomaly/Tomas View Post
                      Dimko, there is no such thing as a fake language. Shocking? Wake up, asshole!
                      first, when there are fake states, there are fake languages! get it once.

second, i do not insult u, why do u insult me ?

something to hide?
                      ill?
                      nervous?
                      shocked?
                      whats werong with u ?
                      1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
                      2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...

Comment

• Delodephius
                        • Sep 2008

There is no such thing as a fake state. It exists or it doesn't.

Just for curiosity, define "fake"?

And get over with the insults, little girl. I'll insult you no matter what, because in my opinion you deserved it.
                        Last edited by Delodephius; 02-14-2009, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• Dimko-piperkata
                          • Sep 2008

last warning to u, @slovak...if u r going ahead to insulting me, then U start a war with me.
                          1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
                          2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...

Comment

• Delodephius
                            • Sep 2008

Whatever... Your on my ignore list.
                            Last edited by Delodephius; 02-14-2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Dimko, you will be starting a war with a kid. Think about that.

SAT, your responses in this regard are beneath you and I am very confident you will not respond like that as you mature.
                              Risto the Great
                              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

For what its worth, I do not feel that it is a fake language. It WAS real 2000 years ago.
                                But it did not represent a natural development path due to being imposed on the various races of modern Greece 180 years ago. Dimko's meaning of "fake" refers to this imposition and the fact that it was a historical language that nobody spoke. Fair call IMO.
                                Risto the Great
                                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

Working...
                                X