Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

The Doclea's (Dukljanski) period, which dated from the IX to the end of the XII century, was probably the most prosperous one in the history of Montenegrins. With the rise of feudalism between VIII and IX centuries, which signified an end to blood related, tribal associations, the (Sklavinija) Doclea (Duklja) gradually became a Principality (Knezevina -Arhontija) in the second part of the IX century. The first known prince (knez-arhont) was Petar. In 1884 a lead stamp was found, on which was engraved in Greek "Petar prince of Doclea". In addition, it also was engraved with the Madonna with Christ, and the word "amin" after Petar's title and two crosses. This is a very important finding, since it confirms not only that Doclea (Duklja) was a principality (Byzantine vassal), but also that Petar was a christianized Slav prince. This implies that Docleans (Dukljani) were christened before the beginning of the Slavic mission of Cirilo and Metodije in the second part of the IX century (V.Nikcevic, Crnogorski jezik, 1993). Similarly, according to D. Zivkovic's findings (Istorija Crnogorskog Naroda, Cetinje, 1989), Doclea was christianized by the middle of the IX century and this period is characterized with the spreading of Latin literacy and culture.

In 1016, Doclea is ruled by the first known nominally independent prince Vladimir (son of Petrislav). From 1018-1043 the Principality of Doclea (Duklja) was ruled by Vladimir's nephew Stefan Vojislav who was a Byzantine vassal until 1041.

After defeating Macedonian rebels and regaining Drac, Byzantium, helped by prince of Zahumlje, head of tribal state Bosnia, and ban of Serbia, attacked Doclea (Duklju) in 1042/43 from all sides (J.Skilica).The attackers suffered heavy defeats (35 000) in Tudjemili, near Bar, and the Byzantium Czar was forced to recognize the Doclea's (Duklja) independence, and forge friendship and alliance with Mihailo, the son of Vojislav, giving him the title of ?(protospator)(J.Jovanovic, Stvaranje Crnogorske Drzave i Razvoj Crnogorske Nacionalnosti, Obod, Cetinje 1947, p. 11). Thus, victory of Prince Vojislav over Byzantium in Tudjemili near Bar in 1042/43 signified liberation from Byzant control, and he became sovereign of Doclea (Duklja) which is in Byzant sources called Zeta after this battle. Zeta, thus, was the first of the South Slav states to be recognized as a sovereignty by Byzantium and this began the thousand year history of the Montenegrin state. The sovereignty of Zeta encompassed Raska, Bosnia, Travunia (Travunija), and Zahumlje (Dragoje Zivkovic, Istorija crnogorskog naroda, Cetinje, 1989).
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

The Association of Montenegrins of Kosovo has reacted against the statements of Kosovar Serb leaders denying the existence of the Montenegrin minority in the Republic of Kosovo. In a press statement issued for the media, the Montenegrin Association of Kosovo strongly pposes the statements of Rada Trajkovic and Marko Jakshic on the daily Montenegrin "Dan", where they both bluntly deny the existence of the Montenegrin minority in Kosovo. "The position, which is being continuously displayed by the Serb local leaders in Kosovo through their political activities, is in the spirit of the special method of war, with impunity, which are making the Serbian nationalists against the nation and state of Montenegro, especially in the last 20 years," the statement says, which was signed by the Chairman of the Association of Montenegrins in Kosovo, Slobodan Vujicic. "Such despicable presentation by the leaders of the Kosovar Serb minority shows the fall of their morale; their political primitivism, which has caused grievous, loses to all people of Kosovo. Now, they are attempting to attack the pride of the Kosovar Montenegrins to destroy and prevent the further realization of our guaranteed rights in the Republic of Kosovo," said the statement.
      How cold the relations between Montenegrins and Serbs must be now.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Who has ever heard Montenegrin music? It sounds very archaic and mystical, sometimes off-beat, but very interesting tunes nevertheless. Just thought I would make mention of that, information concerning the history and culture of the Montenegrin's should be consolidated here, I will post some links at a later date.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          http://www.macedoniantruth.org/2008/...-nations-1924/

What would have been had countries like Macedonia, Montenegro and Croatia prevailed during this period rather than wolves like Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece and Albania.
          The League of Nations was to busy regulating opium trade at the time to care.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
            http://www.csees.net/?page=news&news...5&country_id=8

How cold the relations between Montenegrins and Serbs must be now.
            According to Serbs, we were Southern Serbs .... the Montenegrins never had a chance with those people! I am sure they still have many issues to work through.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

The Montenegrins have been a cultural, (for the most part) political and geographical entity for longer than the Serbs in the recent centuries, but you're right, there are many issues, the Serbian name has a history in Montenegro but its depth and influence can be questioned.

Comment

• osiris
                • Sep 2008

serbs and trsno gortsi havent always ben the best of pals, a common name for serbs in tsrna gora was palikuki ie house burners

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Any more information on house burners as a nickname for Serbs?

Comment

• osiris
                    • Sep 2008

i will post when i speak to my father next som he is in bitola now, but he did mention the source of the nickname but i have forgotten it.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

No problem, samo da ne zaboraish, hope your father is having a good trip.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                        i will post when i speak to my father next som he is in bitola now, but he did mention the source of the nickname but i have forgotten it.
                        Osiris, anything further to that?

Comment

• Blagojce
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
                          Macedonia and Montenegro are very close...they actually have real respect for Macedonians.

Macedonians also make up most of the working population in some of Montenegro's tourist hotspots, like Budva (which is very beautiful, by the way!)
                          I remember being in Montenegro for the first time a few years ago and walking into a club the security guard asked me for my ID, so i showed it to him. being so surprised when he saw an Aussie id for the first time and seeing my name he asked what my background was. I said Macedonian, then he tapped me on my back and said we'll take care of you Macedonian brother, only in Montenegrin.

Also another time me and my cousins from Podgorica were allowed into a club only after i said to the guys at the door that my family originates from Macedonia while pointing to the Macedonian embassy which is on their korzo.

Comment

• Carlin
                            • Dec 2011

- Anthem of Montenegro (with subtitles):
                            "Oj, svijetla majska zoro" (Montenegrin Cyrillic: „Ој, свијетла мајска зоро”, trans. "Oh, Bright Dawn of May") is the official National anthem of Montenegro ...

- Montenegrin book - Njegosh invented the Serbian nationality of the Montenegrins:

- Narratives and stories from Montenegro - a story from the fifteenth century

КАЊОШ МАЦЕДОНОВИЋ (Kanjosh Macedonovic)

URL:

It starts out:

"In the middle of Primorje, the Pashtrova municipality has a small port, a deserted mood, which people today call the Drobnij sand. This was the place where the people gathered for the decisions, when that municipality freely and independently ruled itself.

Four courts and twelve rulers, from each tribe to one man, freely and on the other side of the chosen one, would sit under one side of the top of the sand, and the other hosts one by the other by the sand, and there they would judge and judge the most important jobs. One skilful scribe writes every time in a great book what the assembly concluded, or the courts condemned."

The "term" Macedonia in the 16th century encompassed many "Serbian" lands. In the folk stories/songs of the day towns as far as Pec and Smederevo were counted as being in Macedonia. Bozidar Vukovic of Podgorica, Montenegro - who had a printing press - states that he is from Podgorica "in Macedonian lands". Others from Moracha, Herzegovina, and Sarajevo followed suit. Apparently, the term Macedonia spread to all Serbian/Montengrin/Bosnian lands from the time when the Ohrid Church had these territories under its control.

Last edited by Carlin; 04-01-2019, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• Dove
                              • Aug 2018

Dobro. Thank you Carlin for all your interesting posts and your dedication to sharing historical information with all of us.

Comment

• Carlin
                                • Dec 2011

Montenegrin and Cretan traditional costumes of men.

Similar or not?

All 6 images below taken randomly using google.

Montenegro #1

Montenegro #2

Montenegro #3

Crete #1

Crete #2

Crete #3

Comment

Working...
                                X