X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Is an Arvanite a Greek in your world?
    You might want to check with your superiors before you answer this.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

While you are at it .... and I see signs of hope for you ... let us know about the Vlachs and Slavophone Greeks as well. Are they part of the home team (Greeks) ... or are they pretenders as well?

Again, just check with your superiors first in case the truth gets out.
      Risto the Great

Comment

• Blue Juice
        Banned
        • Apr 2009

An Arvanite is an Arvanite. An Albanian is an Albanian. A Greek is a Greek, and last but not least, a Bulgarian is a Bulgarian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

You forgot Macedonians. You appear to respect an Arvanites right to self describe as Arvanite. Even though Greeks regards them as Greek. Are you confused? I'm not.
          Risto the Great

Comment

• Blue Juice
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

I am not confused. I know that all the people in Athens are not Albanians.

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Blue Juice View Post
              I am not confused. I know that all the people in Athens are not Albanians.

Before the Macedonians and others exposed the real Greek History..?
              Didn't the Greeks believe they were 98% Pure Greek..????
              Has that statement (Lie) changed..like thousands of other lies.....???
              The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• Blue Juice
                Banned
                • Apr 2009

All the people in Athens are not Albanians. Can you comprehend this?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Blue Juice View Post
                  All the people in Athens are not Albanians. Can you comprehend this?
                  I totally agree with you Bluey.
                  But I thought it would be interesting to see what you would have to say about the Arvanites. And it strays from the traditional Greek approach. Are you comfortable with this?
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Blue Juice
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2009

Traditional approaches to arguments may not always be accurate. However the most populist view will always endure.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

What a stupid reply.
                      Do you want to have another go?
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Blue Juice, stop dancing around the questions, you involved yourself in this thread, so address the questions.

You have made it clear that Arvanite are not Greeks, yet your government and 99% of the deludes that listen to their garbage would disagree with you.

What have you to say, to all of those internet Greek cockroaches that do not agree with your view? And why is your position more valid than theirs where it concerns this issue?
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• osiris
                          • Sep 2008

how can anyone be anything that you werent taught in greek school, gee does thta mean the greek story is actually all based on lies and its people have been lied to all this time.

yes

Comment

• Spartan
                            • Sep 2008

Ill throw my 2 cents in here.
                            Are Arvanites Greek ? Obviously not.
                            However, tell them that, and you wont get a nice reply.
                            From what Ive read, they dont like to be associated with Albanians, although I dont know any personally.
                            In my opinion, the difference between Albanians and Arvanites is the latter has been in Greece since as far back as the mid-late middle-ages, and came from an area that TODAY is Albania. In Pelloponese as early as 11 century AD. Up in northern Epirus/S.Albania Greeks and Albs have been 'mishmashed', and the area has been disputed between the 2 peoples for what seems like forever, and this is where they came from.
                            Today, their assimilation is pretty much complete, and their language will die out soon. I have never heard nor read about a 'forced' assimilation either. As there was no Albanian nationality to speak of then, and being that they were Orthodox, they attached themselves to what would become the Greek state.

I believe their language is most commonly spoken to this day in Boetia(central Greece), where I have even read their exists a hybrid dialect of Arvanitika and Greek.
                            In north and central Pelloponnese you could never tell which villages were Arvanitik as the language has died out and they are indistinguishable from the rest of the population.

In conclusion, Arvanites are not 'ethnically' Greek(not fully anyways), but ethnicity is a JOKE in this day and age(imo) anyways. What we do know is they have contributed greatly to the Greek nation. They have been on our peninsula for centuries, were loyal to the king and the Church, as well as spilling blood for our liberation. If they wish to be called Greeks, I for one will not deny them
                            Last edited by Spartan; 04-27-2009, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Spartan, my problem is the latitude that is afforded to the Arvanites by Greeks. And then we see the blatant denial of the Macedonian identity by the same people. Beyond hypocritical. Anyone can be a Greek ... but God forbid a Macedonian can't be a Macedonian. Ridiculous.
                              Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

Exactly the point Risto, even if both the modern Greeks and modern Macedonians were a variety of different peoples and ethnicities prior to their solidifying as nations in the 19th century, why is it OK for various people to identify as Greeks on the one hand, but not as Macedonians on the other? It is pure hypocrisy and nothing more.
                                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                                X