X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

The Miladinov Brothers & Macedonian Literature - 19th Century

There is a plethora of Macedonian literature from the 19th century written in the native tongue which demonstrates beyond any doubt the existence of the Macedonian language and its rich dialects.

While in the literature, the Macedonian name was not always employed, particularly during the earlier years of the national awakening, the local Macedonian vernacular most certainly was used. Hence, one only need read a song or poem recorded by the likes of the Miladinov Brothers from Macedonia to realize that despite the terminology used what exists there is purely literature in the Macedonian language.

This thread will serve the purpose of revealing the many examples of the abovementioned literature.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

The native tongue is a very important point.
    I believe the Germans abandoned Latin in the Catholic church in the 1950's.
    Macedonians were merely victims in the Ottoman empire prior to the 19th century awakening ... just like all the countries in the Balkans. They were not "working on an identity" during the Ottoman oppression. They were being suppressed for 500 years. And still had defining ethnic characteristics.

Look how fast Macedonians progressed in such a short time since freedom from the Ottoman yoke. This cultural identity simply does not appear over night. It is the culmination of millenniums of evolution. The local vernacular was very complete during Misirkov and far earlier. The notion that the Old Church Macedonian Slavonic is different to modern Macedonian is as stupid as Latin versus Italian. What is curious is the fundamental similarities and the obvious evolution of the language. Not sure we can say the same about evolution of a language for our southern neighbours though.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
      There is a plethora of Macedonian literature from the 19th century written in the native tongue which demonstrates beyond any doubt the existence of the Macedonian language and its rich dialects.

While in the literature, the Macedonian name was not always employed, particularly during the earlier years of the national awakening, the local Macedonian vernacular most certainly was used. Hence, one only need read a song or poem recorded by the likes of the Miladinov Brothers from Macedonia to realize that despite the terminology used what exists there is purely literature in the Macedonian language.

This thread will serve the purpose of revealing the many examples of the abovementioned literature.
      I have a quote were the Miladinov brothers explain why they labeled their book "B'lgarski" Narodni Pesni, I will post it later it will give us a new light on the issue.
      Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Pelister
        • Sep 2008

Alot of Macedonian literature was lost during the 19th century, and I know of a number of bon fires, particularly in the town of Strumica and Prilep, where many books had been burned, and who knows what had actually been lost.

But, there is enough Macedonian literature from the 19th century that has survived, and this is as good a place as any to talk post what is known about it.

There seems to be some confusion between 'Macedonian' and 'Bulgarian' in some of the compilations of poems, and this has given the colonial regime of Bulgaria some arsenal against us, so exploring that issue is important.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
          I have a quote were the Miladinov brothers explain why they labeled their book "B'lgarski" Narodni Pesni, I will post it later it will give us a new light on the issue.
          Daskale, how are we going with this?
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Daskalot
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
            Daskale, how are we going with this?

Source: "Macedonia and the Macedonians: A History" by Andrew Rossos, 2008, page 84.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Interesting, thanks mate.

Comment

• Daskalot
                • Sep 2008

Nishto, it is very interesting that they did it as a consequence of the Greek attitude at the time.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

It is clear that Miladinov naturally refers to his land as Macedonia and not Bulgaria. As a defense against Greek aims to usurp Macedonia, and a consequence of the already common fight of the Slavic-speakers of Macedonia and Bulgaria against the Greek-speaking clergy and upper classes, he refers to Macedonia as 'west Bulgaria', as it would give the impression that the people of Macedonia were not on their own in the struggle. In the context of an era where the generic use of the 'Bulgarian' name among Slavic-speaking peasants in the Ottoman Empire was commonplace, it is not difficult to understand why some actions were taken.

While a Slavic-speaking peasant from anywhere in the Ottoman Empire could rightly refer to themselves as a 'Bulgarian', the Macedonian name was used more on an exclusive basis and could not be inclusive of Slavic-speaking people outside of historical Macedonia and the adjacent regions. The only 'negative' aspect in this respect is its perceived 'isolation'.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Can we put some of the Miladinov texts here? Or at least excerpts?
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

I will do so tonight.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Song 244.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

It is in the category of rebel (or criminal) songs collected by the Miladinov brothers, from Bitola. It is almost identical to the Bitola dialect I speak, minus some small characteristics. For example, I would say 'luti' instead of 'lyuti', 'gref' instead of 'greh', and 'beme' instead of 'behme'.

Topi, topi, mila maiko, moive lyuti rani.
                          Topam, topam, mili sinko, tvoite lyuti rani.
                          Kazhi, kazhi, mili sinko, shto greh si storilo?
                          Da ti kazham, mila maiko, shto greh sum storilo;
                          Koga behme, mila maiko, detsa adzhamii,
                          Nie behme, mila maiko, loshi aramii,
                          Nie behme, mila maiko, na Stara planina,
                          Se pogodi, mila maiko, dena Veligdena,
                          Ta slegofme, mila maiko, vo selo Ladovo,
                          Posakafme, mila maiko, p edno parche lebets,
                          Parche lebets, mila maiko, po tsrveno yaytse.
                          Ne ni dadoa, mila maiko, p edno parche lebets.
                          Nito lebets, mila maiko, ni tsrveno yaytse.
                          Se nalyuti, mila maiko, nashi bulyuk-bashi:
                          Koi ye kadar, mili detsa more, ko ye vreden,
                          Da zapali, mili detsa, ono lepo selo?
                          Ne se naide, mila maiko, nikoi dobar yunak;
                          Yas zapalif, mila maiko, ona lepa tsrkva.
                          Koga gorea, mila maiko, mladite momchina,
                          Sini plamni, mila maiko, toga m izlegvee;
                          Koga gorea, mila maiko, mladite nevesti,
                          Silen vetar, mila maiko, toga mi zavea;
                          koga gorea, mila maiko, mladite dechina,
                          Mi bleea, mila maiko, kak rudi yagani,
                          Dur na boga, mila maiko, mu se nazhalilo,
                          Silna rosa, mila maiko, toga mi narosi,
                          I ugasna, mila maiko, ona lepa tsrkva.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Thanks SoM.
                            "lepa" was of interest to me in that text.
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Recorded in the mid 1800's.

Comment

Working...
                              X