X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diabolical
    • Jan 2009

The Ilinden Uprising

Hi, I'm looking for info on the Ilinden Uprising, specifically the liberation of Krusevo. How long did it take to liberate the town, who was involved, what weapons were used, strategy, the fighting size of both sides. etc

So far I've only found very general info. Gimme anything you got, video, text, in English, Macedonian, wateva!

Also, where can I find biographies on the members of VMRO? I've found one on Goce Delchev... what about the other members?

The reason for this is that I'm writing a historical short story, on Macedonia in the 1900s ( A major project for school). So does anyone know what daily life was like in the 1900s (so around 1890 until the Uprising) Eg. A child growing up in Macedonia, would he go to school (I read that VMRO recruited in schools?), until what age, what was life in the gradovi like as oppossed to the sela, what about job prospects etc.

I really do realize that this is asking a lot, but if anyone can point me to a book, or can help me out in any way possible, that would be great I'll post my progress here and when I'm done (should be towards the end of the year) I'll post it here

Thanks again
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Welcome mate. Here is something we started a little while back:

It is an interesting topic and I am sure others here can assist with information where it concerns the Macedonian revolutionaries of the 19th and 20th centuries.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Pelister
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Diabolical View Post
      Hi, I'm looking for info on the Ilinden Uprising, specifically the liberation of Krusevo. How long did it take to liberate the town, who was involved, what weapons were used, strategy, the fighting size of both sides. etc

So far I've only found very general info. Gimme anything you got, video, text, in English, Macedonian, wateva!

Also, where can I find biographies on the members of VMRO? I've found one on Goce Delchev... what about the other members?

The reason for this is that I'm writing a historical short story, on Macedonia in the 1900s ( A major project for school). So does anyone know what daily life was like in the 1900s (so around 1890 until the Uprising) Eg. A child growing up in Macedonia, would he go to school (I read that VMRO recruited in schools?), until what age, what was life in the gradovi like as oppossed to the sela, what about job prospects etc.

I really do realize that this is asking a lot, but if anyone can point me to a book, or can help me out in any way possible, that would be great I'll post my progress here and when I'm done (should be towards the end of the year) I'll post it here

Thanks again
      Wow, interesting times in Macedonia.

It was a real wild west. Full of Arami, Muslims, Turks, Jannisseries, Aga's and the like.

For instance, after the fall of Krushevo, the Aga of Prilep (an Albanian in the Turkish army), had permission to lead about 3,000 Jannisseries (Albanians) to sack it for its wealth, and riches because they knew there was riches there. That was their 'pay'. They went from house to house, looting and stealing anything they could find.

Comment

• Diabolical
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
        Welcome mate. Here is something we started a little while back:

It is an interesting topic and I am sure others here can assist with information where it concerns the Macedonian revolutionaries of the 19th and 20th centuries.
        thanks!

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
        Wow, interesting times in Macedonia.

It was a real wild west. Full of Arami, Muslims, Turks, Jannisseries, Aga's and the like.

For instance, after the fall of Krushevo, the Aga of Prilep (an Albanian in the Turkish army), had permission to lead about 3,000 Jannisseries (Albanians) to sack it for its wealth, and riches because they knew there was riches there. That was their 'pay'. They went from house to house, looting and stealing anything they could find.
        That's interesting. I thought that there were also Albanian fighters in the uprising, fighting on the side of the Macedonians? Also what kind of riches was there in Krushevo? Also what are the Arami? Thanks!

Thank you everyone Keep it coming ehehe
        Last edited by Diabolical; 02-19-2009, 04:34 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Arami are theives.

Which Albanians fought on the Macedonian side?
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Magedon
            • Dec 2008

The Skipetar (nowadays Albanian) always fought either for himself or for the highest bidder (in those times the Turk) - Mercenarie is actually the only profession the Albanians were ever known for - or at least remembered as such. What is trade and merchendize to the Greek - mercenarie is to the Skipetar. They never ever fought along with Macedonians (except for the exceptions wich confirmed the rule) - they always somehow ended on the other side, or against the Macedonians.
            Makedonsko devojche, kitka sharena; od gradina nabrana - dar podarena - IMA LI ?????

Comment

• Diabolical
              • Jan 2009

In my research, I have picked up a useful book called IMRO and the Macedonian Question by Michael A. Radin.

It seems, I have misunderstood... It was the Vlachs that were enthusiastic and fought along the Macedonians (sorry, I have only recently seriously started looking into Macedonian history from Ottoman period hehe )

a paragraph on p103 says
              Albanians within Macedonia also played a significant role in the storming of Krushevo, and were active in establishing the new administration. A number of rebels from Albania acted as arms couriers for the Organization in the Demirhisar district.
              It doesn't say more than that about the Albanians... Arms couriers, from the looks of it, seems like another word for "weapons dealer" more or less... that may be the "significant role" the book speaks of (or maybe this also included mercenaries that Magedon was speaking of) ... about the "new administration" I have no idea what that means..

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Apart from selling us some guns for a buck, the Albanians had little to do with the Macedonian struggle for liberation.

Comment

• Sarafot
                  • Dec 2008

Macedonian names for so called ''Albanians''!
                  -LJUNGA
                  -ŠOK
                  -ŠIPTAR
                  -ARNAUT
                  -GILIPTAR
                  Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
                  - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Pelister
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                    Arami are theives.

Which Albanians fought on the Macedonian side?
                    None.

In this specific fight, it was a call for anyone to join only in principle, but they were all Macedonians with one or two exceptions.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Diabolical View Post
                      In my research, I have picked up a useful book called IMRO and the Macedonian Question by Michael A. Radin.

It seems, I have misunderstood... It was the Vlachs that were enthusiastic and fought along the Macedonians (sorry, I have only recently seriously started looking into Macedonian history from Ottoman period hehe )

a paragraph on p103 says

It doesn't say more than that about the Albanians... Arms couriers, from the looks of it, seems like another word for "weapons dealer" more or less... that may be the "significant role" the book speaks of (or maybe this also included mercenaries that Magedon was speaking of) ... about the "new administration" I have no idea what that means..
                      Michael is an intelligent guy.
                      I know him well.
                      But I wonder if he would write the same things if he had another go at it now.
                      Risto the Great
                      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Diabolical
                        • Jan 2009

What do you mean Risto?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

I mean that with the abundance of extra information available now as opposed to when he wrote the book, he may be able to shed more light on some of the issues he explored. I will ask him the next time I see him.
                          Risto the Great
                          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Pelister
                            • Sep 2008

Michael Radin, was all we had at one time, but he bought into the "we are 5th century Slavs" thing, and looking back over his stuff it now looks pretty basic.

Comment

Working...
                            X